Beemster cheese is delicious on its own and as a cheese platter addition but it is also a fantastic ingredient to add to meals.
Beemster is the creamiest Gouda cheese in Holland because of ideal farming conditions and practices in the mineral-rich soil of the Beemster region. Made in the UNESCO World Heritage Site ‘The Beemster’ and aged in historic warehouses this gourmet Dutch Gouda is imported exclusively through Angeles Fine Foods
Risotto with Beemster and Crayfish
TYPE: Starter, main course
TIME: 30 min
MAKES: 4 servings
- 200 g Beemster x-o-
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 250 g risotto rice
- 100 ml medium dry sherry
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 15 g fresh basil, finely chopped
- 100 g crayfish
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Grate half of the Beemster X-O-.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy-based pan.
- Sauté the onions until slightly translucent.
- Add the rice and keep stirring until all the kernels are coated and shiny.
- Pour in the sherry and let the rice simmer gently until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add half of the chicken stock and let the rice simmer gently for 20 minutes until done.
- Stir regularly and keep adding a bit of stock whenever the liquid has evaporated.
- Blend in the grated cheese and basil and let the risotto rest in a covered pan for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the crayfish with the chili powder for 2-3 minutes.
- Use a parer to shave a few attractive curls off the flat side of the Beemster X-O-.
- Spoon a mound of risotto onto 4 pre-warmed deep plates and top with equal amounts of crayfish.
- Garnish with the cheese curls.
RRP range from $3.30 to $4.05 per 100 grams
For more information, visit www.beemstercheese.com.au
I devour books, vampires and supernatural creatures are my genre of choice but over the past couple of years, I have broadened my horizons considerably. In a nutshell – I love to write! I love interacting with a diverse range of artists to bring you interviews. Perhaps we were perfect before – I LOVE WORDS!