Julie Goodwin has teamed up with Fountain Variety Sauces to create a range of delicious recipes for Mother’s Day. This year, why not let your mum hang her apron up for the day and make her a home cooked meal.
She will be impressed when you serve up this Cottage Pie, a traditional favourite that will warm you up and easily serve a family of four.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40-50 minutes
Serves: 4 generous helpings
* 4 Sebago or Dutch cream potatoes
* 50g butter
* 1/3 cup milk
* 2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp vegetable oil
* 2 small brown onions, chopped
* 750g lean beef mince
* 2 carrots, peeled and diced in small pieces
* 1/2 cup Fountain Spicy Red sauce
* 1/2 cup Fountain Pepper Steak sauce
* 2 tbs Fountain Worcestershire sauce
* 1 cup frozen baby peas
* Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add a pinch of salt.
* Peel the potatoes and boil in the salted water until tender. Drain and mash immediately with half the butter, the milk and 1 tsp salt. Set aside.
* In a large non-stick frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and add the onion. Sauté for 2 minutes or until transparent and fragrant.
* Add the beef and cook for a further 6-8 minutes. Break up any lumps with a spoon, until all the meat has browned.
* Blanch the diced carrot in boiling water or microwave for a couple of minutes until soft. Add to the pan and season with remaining salt.
* Add the Fountain Pepper Steak sauce, Fountain Spicy Red sauce and Fountain Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid reduces, the flavours have intensified and the meat is a dark brown colour. Stir through the baby peas.
* Place the meat into a 22 x 22cm square glass or ceramic baking dish. Carefully spread the mashed potato over the top and mark the surface with a fork for a crispy top. Dot the remaining butter over the potato, with a fork.
* Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the potato is a deep golden brown.
For more delicious Mothers Day recipes, visit www.fountainsauces.com.au
Beauty and Lace is an online magazine for women. We hope you enjoyed this article!