The not-for-profit organisation Lifestyle Medicine Institute has created a new initiative called the Complete Health Improvement Program (CHIP). CHIP is a lifestyle intervention and education program aiming to help people reduce disease risk factors by adopting better health habits and modifying lifestyles.
CHIP has developed some delicious and healthy recipes, one of which is this Apple Pecan Cake that looks amazing.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
½ cup chopped pecans
1 apple, unpeeled and diced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup non-dairy milk fortified with calcium/B12
⅓ cup pure maple syrup
1½ cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
¾ cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
½ cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C and lightly grease a 8-inch/20-centimeter round cake pan
2. Sprinkle the pecans in the bottom of the cake pan, followed by the diced apple and cinnamon
3. In a small bowl, combine ⅓ cup non-dairy milk with maple syrup. Pour over the pecans and apples
4. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, apple sauce, honey, vanilla and remaining non-dairy milk to form a batter
5. Spread this batter evenly over the pecans and apples
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick/skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool
7. Cool in pan, then hold a serving plate on top of cake and flip over to serve
Per serving: 184cal (769kJ)
Total Fat 4g
Saturated Fat <1g
Total Sugars 21g
Instead of making Apple Pecan Cake, make Apple Pecan Muffins. Evenly distribute batter in muffin tins for individual servings and reduce baking time to suit
Credit: CHIP Eat More recipe book
For further information visit: www.sydney.chiphealth.org.au
My blurb went missing… so now I have to bring you a new one. One that is a little broader too.
I devour books, vampires and supernatural creatures are my genre of choice but over the past couple of years I have broadened my horizons considerably.
I inhale music, hair metal that satisfies my inner bogan is where my musical passion lies, but again I’ve been exposed to lots of different music I wouldn’t normally listen to and have broadened those horizons also.
In a nutshell – I love to write! I love interacting with a diverse range of artists to bring you interviews.
Perhaps we were perfect before – I LOVE WORDS! Reading, writing, speaking, listening – if it’s got words I’m there!