The title of these cupcakes will probably be the closest you ever get to actually kissing Prince William, but they will be so royally scrumptious you won’t even care and you will be able to enjoy watching the big wedding on 29th April 2011.
This recipe is the second in our two part series from Queen Fine Foods, and the perfect addition to the wedding extravaganza. These would also be a gorgeous treat for a young girl’s birthday party!
Prep: 20 mins (+ setting time)
1 x 350g sponge slab cake
230g (2/3 cup) raspberry jam
210g (1 1/2 cups) icing sugar mixture
1 tbs butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp Queen Organic Vanilla Essence
1/2 drops (red) Queen Rainbow Food Colours (4 pack)
2-3 tbs boiling water
16 Queen Icing Pansies
1. Cut sponge cake in half horizontally.
2. Use an 8cm heart-shaped pastry cutter to cut out 16 heart shapes from the cake.
3. Spread the cut side of 8 hearts with jam. Top with remaining hearts.
4. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the butter.
5. Add enough boiling water to the butter to melt and mix into a firm paste.
6. Add Queen Natural Vanilla Essence and Queen Food Colouring until light pink.
7. Add a little more hot water until a runny icing forms.
8. Stir until smooth. Spoon the icing over the cakes allowing it to drizzle over the sides.
9. Arrange 2 Queen Edible Sugar Pansies on top of each cake. Set aside until the icing has set.
Alternatively, use Queen Royal Icing as a topping – the finish is smooth and elegant and incredibly easy to make – just add water and spread away!
Queen Fine Foods is Australia’s leading provider of premium, pure Vanilla extracts and essences. Based in Brisbane, this family owned business has been making Australia’s finest Vanilla products since 1897.
For more information on Queen and to see a wide range of Queen’s other great products, please visit