If you are overweight, you will probably feel like you have tried everything to get rid of the excess weight. At this point, bariatric surgery may be your last remaining option. It is important, however, that you have some understanding of how your life will change. Nassau NY weight loss surgery isn’t a sort of quick fix. It involves changing your entire lifestyle and your look. One of the biggest changes will obviously be in your body and you may end up with quite a bit of loose skin. There are solutions out there, for which you again need to be prepared.
Plastic Surgery after Weight Loss
Most people who have had bariatric surgery will also have many other procedures done in order to obtain the body they really want. Some of the most common procedures include:
- Arm lift, whereby your arms will be contoured so that your ‘bat wings’ disappear.
- Full body lift, which tends to focus on three main areas. These are the buttocks, the abdomen and the thigs. Usually, you will only be able to have this completed if you have had a stable weight for half a year, follow a healthy diet and engage in regular exercise.
- Bra line back lift, whereby the fat rolls on your back, which usually appear above your bra line, are removed.
- Panniculectomy, which removes the skin around your stomach area in particular. It is important to understand that, if you truly lose a tremendous amount of weight, this skin could hang as far down as your knees, covering your hips and back area. A panniculectomy is not a tummy tuck, therefore, as this is a procedure that also tightens the stomach muscles. A panniculectomy only removes skin.
- Thigh lift, whereby the skin around the thighs is pulled tighter. It helps slim the thighs down, creating a more pleasing appearance.
Most people who have bariatric surgery will at some point or another also have plastic surgery. Sometimes, insurance companies will cover these procedures, but there are plenty who will not. This is because, while unsightly, it is very rare for the loose skin to actually pose some kind of risk to overall health. The exception is if the skin folds start to develop sores, or if the person starts to suffer from back problems.
Another big thing that people worry about is whether or not they will be able to have children after weight loss surgery. 50% of all weight loss procedures on women are done on those between the ages of 18 and 45, which is known as the reproductive age. It is important to let a physician know that you are planning on having children, even if you haven’t decided on a time scale yet. Generally, this will encourage the surgeon to use a lap band, which can be loosened or even totally removed.
The psychological impact of having this surgery, resulting in a brand new body, is also significant. Make sure you accept therapy if it is offered to you.
Article by guest author