Strawberry jam is my favourite though I am not sure I would ever have enough strawberries around to preserve them, this would definitely be worth a try if you did though.
Makes about 1kg
Try out the Lemony Strawberry Jam recipe at your next summer barbie.
4 cups crushed strawberries (about 1.25 kg)
3 tbsp pectin
2 cups (440 g) granulated sugar
1/2 large lemon grated zest
4 (250 ml) glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- ADD crushed strawberries and lemon zest to a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- ADD entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- LADLE hot jam into jars leaving 0.5 cm headspace. Wipe rim. Centre lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when centre is pressed.
I devour books, vampires and supernatural creatures are my genre of choice but over the past couple of years, I have broadened my horizons considerably. In a nutshell – I love to write! I love interacting with a diverse range of artists to bring you interviews. Perhaps we were perfect before – I LOVE WORDS!