Most of us don’t eat the recommended quantity of fruit and vegetable daily (2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of vegetables). This recipe combines seasonal fruit with Vaalia Low Fat Yoghurt making it a great tasting low fat dessert treat.
100ml low fat milk
175g Vaalia Low Fat Passionfruit Yoghurt
40g caster sugar
15g plain flour
3 large free-range egg yolks
1 large mango, puree flesh
2 large free-range egg whites
50g caster sugar, extra
2 passionfruit, scoop out pulp
Vaalia Low Fat Yoghurt for serving
Serves 4 (120ml ramekin or small soufflé dish)
1. Preheat oven to 190c degrees. Prepare soufflé dishes (see Cook’s Tip below)
2. Heat the milk and Vaalia Low Fat Passionfruit Yoghurt in a heavy-based saucepan with 1 tablespoon of caster sugar until it starts to scald. Sift the flour and cornflour together.
3. Beat the egg yolks and remaining sugar together in a large bowl, then slowly beat in the flour mix.
4. Slowly pour in one third of the hot milk and yoghurt mixture, continue whisking so the mixture remains smooth. Return this to the pan.
5. Simmer gently, whisking continuously until mixture becomes smooth and thick. Transfer to a bowl, cover and cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin forming on this soufflé or ‘crème patissiere base’.
6. Add the mango puree and passionfruit pulp to the soufflé base and set aside.
7. When almost ready to serve, whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff, then gradually add in the extra caster sugar. Carefully fold the soufflé base into this meringue mixture. When well combined, spoon into prepared soufflé dishes. Level the tops with a flat knife or back of a spoon. Place soufflé dishes on a baking tray and allow to bake for 12-15 minutes, until risen and golden.
8. Slide the soufflé dishes on to dessert plates and serve immediately with Vaalia Low Fat Yoghurt on the side.
For a winter treat, replace mango and passion fruit pulp with rhubarb puree.
The secret of successful soufflés – brush each soufflé dish with melted butter using vertical strokes and coat with ground almonds or caster sugar. This will help the soufflé climb up the sides of the dish as it cooks.
Vaalia Passionfruit and Mango Souffle Puddings (Serves 4)
Nutritional analysis per serve:
1038kJ (247 Calories); 8.4g Protein; 4.5g Total Fat (1.5g Saturated Fat); 42.6g Carbohydrate (37.5g Sugar); 137mg Calcium (17% RDI).