Granola is traditionally a healthy breakfast food, a wholesome and filling start to the day.
Elise Barber has brought together a granola inspired cookbook that will allow you to incorporate this healthy kitchen staple into your all day menu. Homemade Granola is a unique collection of granola-based recipes including delicious and easy to follow recipes for crumbles, breads, muffins and cakes.
Not too sweet, these granola-studded muffins make a great breakfast or midday snack.
Chocolate Coconut Granola Muffins
- 6½ oz (185 g) all-purpose (plain) flour or spelt flour
- 5½ oz (150 g) brown or coconut sugar
- 2¼ oz (60 g) cocoa powder
- 1 oz (30 g) shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 9 fl oz (250 ml) milk
- 4½ oz (125 g) plain Greek yogurt or coconut Greek yogurt
- 1¾ oz (50 g) coconut oil, melted, or oil
- 2½ oz (75 g) frozen cherries, any excess liquid drained (optional)
- 3¼ oz (90 g) chocolate chips (optional)
- 1¾ oz (50 g) granola of your choice, such as German chocolate, (p71) or Chocolate lover’s, (p67)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, and shredded coconut in a bowl.
- Combine the oil, egg, milk, yogurt in a separate bowl.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir the ingredients together until barely combined—do not over-mix, or your muffins will be tough!
- Gently fold in the cherries and chocolate chips, if using.
- Evenly distribute the batter between the muffin cups. Crush the granola, then sprinkle over the top of each muffin. Gently press the granola into the batter.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
I devour books, vampires and supernatural creatures are my genre of choice but over the past couple of years, I have broadened my horizons considerably. In a nutshell – I love to write! I love interacting with a diverse range of artists to bring you interviews. Perhaps we were perfect before – I LOVE WORDS!