A great way to ensure you don’t waste your excess plums is to preserve them in syrup for use in desserts all year round.
Makes about 2L
1.5-2.5kg plums, whole or halved and pitted (about 30-50 med)
1/2 batch of hot light or medium syrup
4 (500ml) glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE syrup by combining 1 cups plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar and 2-2/3 cups water for light and 1-2/3 cups granulated sugar and 2-1/2 cups water for medium in a stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low and keep warm until needed, taking care not to boil the syrup down.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- PRICK whole plums in several places using a fork. In a large stainless steel saucepan, one layer at a time, warm plums in hot syrup over medium-low heat until heated through, about 2 minutes per layer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer each batch to a bowl and keep hot. After all the plums have been heated, remove saucepan from heat and return plums to the syrup. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Return to a boil before packing.
- PACK hot plums into hot jars, using a slotted spoon, leaving 5 mm headspace. Ladle hot syrup into hot jars to cover plums leaving 5 mm headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot syrup. Wipe rim. Centre lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes in 500mL jars, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when centre is pressed.
My blurb went missing… so now I have to bring you a new one. One that is a little broader too.
I devour books, vampires and supernatural creatures are my genre of choice but over the past couple of years I have broadened my horizons considerably.
I inhale music, hair metal that satisfies my inner bogan is where my musical passion lies, but again I’ve been exposed to lots of different music I wouldn’t normally listen to and have broadened those horizons also.
In a nutshell – I love to write! I love interacting with a diverse range of artists to bring you interviews.
Perhaps we were perfect before – I LOVE WORDS! Reading, writing, speaking, listening – if it’s got words I’m there!