This year why not make Easter a little more exciting and do something different with the chocolate. Spy-thriller Chocolate Black Forest Cake is a simple dessert to make but one that will certainly thrill the family taste buds.
Spy-thriller chocolate Black Forest cake covered with Alpine whipped cream and cherry, the German double agent on top –
10 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
6 large egg whites
Scant 2/3 cup flour
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup icing sugar
84 maraschino cherries
4 dark chocolate bars, for shaving
1. Preheat the over to 175°C. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
2. Whisk the egg yolks with ½ cup sugar until light yellow and custardy, about 5 minutes. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites and remaining sugar until it forms soft peaks.
3. In a third bowl sift the flour and cocoa powder. Fold this mixture into the yolk mixture. Whisk the melted butter and then gently fold in the egg whites.
4. Scoop the cake batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling each tin three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before turning the mini cakes out onto a cooling rack. Cut each cooled cake horizontally into thirds.
5. With an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream and icing sugar into firm peaks.
6. On a serving platter, place the bottom third of one mini cake, cut side up. Spread with a generous layer of whipped cream and place 3 cherries on top. Top with the next cake layer and spread with more cream, then add 3 more cherries. Place the top cake layer on top, spread an even layer of cream on top and spread all around the sides of the cake. Repeat with remaining cake rounds. Freeze for 1 hour.
7. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the dark chocolate into a large shallow bowl. Carefully roll each cake in the chocolate peels. Decorate the tops of the cakes with a piped rosette of whipped cream and a last cherry.
Recipe from Chocolate: A Love Story
65 Chocolate Dessert Recipes from Max’s Private Collection
For more information and to discover your nearest Max Brenner head over to: www.maxbrenner.com.au