Queen Fine Foods, best known in my pantry for food colouring and vanilla extract, have just released a vegetarian alternative to gelatine.
Queen Jel-It-In contains no animal by-products and is sustainably extracted from seaweed and seeds from the carob tree, which I didn’t think sounded very appetizing until I discovered that regular gelatin is a combination of peptides and proteins taken from the skin, horn, hoof and bones of cows, chickens and horses – seaweed and carob seeds sound like a much more appealing option now.
Jel-It-In is unflavoured and clear, not to mention suitable in sweet and savoury recipes, and it is fast acting so recipes will set at room temperature and hold their shape outside of the fridge.
“We’re extremely excited about our new Jel-it-in product, which is a first for people looking for a vegetarian or healthier alternative to use in their cooking. Jel-it-in is the result of stringent research and trials to ensure a high quality, superior product that Queen is very proud of,” said Sam Himstedt, Managing Director, Queen Fine Foods.
A range of recipes have been developed by Queen utilising this fabulous new product, recipes that are perfect to amaze guests at your next dinner party, or simply to flex your culinary muscles in your home kitchen. Jel-It-In is not a substitute for gelatine, it is an alternative; which means it’s not quite as simple as just replacing one with the other in recipes.
To tempt your tastebuds a little and send you out searching for Jel-It-In in your local Woolworths we here at Beauty and Lace thought we would bring you some examples of the scrumptious things you can make with Queen’s new Jel-It-In.
Chocolate Panna Cotta
1 sachet Queen Jel-it-in
500ml light cream
2tbsp caster sugar
- Dissolve one sachet Queen Jel-it-in in the milk and then pour into a saucepan.
- Add the cream and caster sugar and heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until it has melted.
- Divide it between panna cotta moulds and leave to come to room temperature then chill for at least 3 hours.
- Invert onto a plate to serve.
- Serve with berries and cream if desired.
Vanilla Jelly with Passionfruit Topping
250ml whipping cream
1 tsp Queen Vanilla Extract
1 Queen Jel-it-in
½ cup caster sugar
¼ cup water
1 tsp arrowroot
- Blitz the passionfruit pulp in a blender or food processor for a couple of seconds to break it up.
- In a small saucepan, place the sugar and water.
- Heat the pot, stirring over low heat until the sugar dissolves then let it simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped up passionfruit pulp and simmer it all for another 2 minutes.
- Mix up the arrowroot with 1tbsp of water to dissolve the arrowroot then add it to the passionfruit pot.
- Stir and then simmer it for another minute or two until thick and saucy.
- Transfer it to a jug to cool and then chill.
- Dissolve Queen Jel-it-in in 200ml of milk. Pour it into a medium-sized saucepan and add the cream, vanilla, sugar and remaining milk.
- Heat the pot over a gentle heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves then continue to heat, stirring until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Divide it between serving jars or ramekins and leave to come to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. To serve, divide the passionfruit sauce between the ramekins.
1 sachet Queen Jel-it-in
1 cup full-cream milk
a few drops of Queen rose food colouring
1-2 tbsp sugar to taste
1tsp Queen rose water essence
- Dissolve one sachet Queen Jel-it-in in 200ml of milk and then pour into a saucepan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture begins to bubble.
- Pour into a wide, shallow container and leave to cool to room temperature and then chill for at least 3 hours.
- Cut into diamonds to serve.
This is just a taste to tempt you into shopping for Jel-It-In, I know I’ll be keeping my eye out for it in selected Woolworths across the country.
Jel-It-In has an RRP of $3.49.
For specific stockist information please visit: www.queen.com.au.