Give Mum the gift of food this Mother’s Day with this homemade roast chicken recipe. This comes courtesy of Maxwell and Williams, whose crockery make the perfect addition to any fine meal –
- 1 whole free-range chicken, approximately 1.6 kilograms
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bunch of fresh rosemary
- 1 fresh bunch of thyme
- 1 fresh bunch of sage
- Salt & pepper
- 1 whole lemon
- Good quality olive oil
- Your favourite autumn vegetables; we love baby carrots, pumpkin, parsnip, potatoes, whole garlic cloves with skin on, red onion quartered
- Take chicken out of the fridge and rest it for about 20 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
- Take half portion of herbs, pick out the leaves and chop well. In a bowl, fold chopped herbs into butter with garlic, Dijon mustard, salt & pepper and a splash of oil.
- With a sharp knife, lift and separate the skin from the chicken’s breast and legs. Push butter mixture under the skin of chicken breast and legs, and rub the entire chicken with butter mix. Carefully prick lemon all over to fully release its flavour. Stuff chicken with lemon and the remaining whole herbs.
- Roast chicken in oven for around 1hr 20 minutes in the Maxwell & Williams White Basics Chef du Monde Rectangular Baker. At the 35 minute mark, remove from the oven and add vegetables to a roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season well. Carefully place the chicken on an elevated rack above your vegies. Return to the oven and cook for the remaining 45 minutes.
- On the home stretch! Baste chicken and vegetables a couple of times throughout cooking with those delicious roasting juices, turning vegetables once. Pull chicken out of oven, cover with foil and rest for around 10 minutes. While resting halve the lemon and pan-fry until it’s nice and blackened. Arrange chicken and vegetables on the Maxwell & Williams White Basics Luxurious Coupe Platter and serve.
Stylist’s tip: Charred food contrasts perfectly with the stark elegance of the Maxwell & Williams White Basics Luxurious range. Explore the range at www.maxwellandwilliams.com.au