This recipe from Maxwell & Williams was created by GeorgEats (Georgia McDermott). Why not spoil Mum with a high tea celebration at home this Mother’s Day?
Complete your high tea setting with these delicately sized spiced meringues with poached pears. The combination of flavours will complement your assortment of petit fours and macaroons and add a beautiful modern flare to a traditional high tea for your mum.
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees Celsius
- Take a large bowl for your 3 large egg whites and begin whipping them until peaks begin to form.
- Gradually add 150g of caster sugar and 20g of brown sugar, along with half a teaspoon of mixed spice and half a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.
- Continue this process until you have added all the sugar and the meringue is thick and glossy, with specks of spice and vanilla throughout.
- On a lined baking tray, use a spoon or piping bag to create around 12-14 medium sized meringues, with a nest in the middle to house the cream and spiced pear.
- Put them in the oven for an hour or hour and a half, depending on your oven, and leave them there to cool completely, as this stops them from bleeding sugar later.
- While the meringues are cooking, place half a teaspoon of cinnamon, half a teaspoon of ginger powder, 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and a cup and a half of water into a medium saucepan. Add one to two large pears and place over medium heat.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the pear is soft and the liquid has become syrupy. Set aside.
- When you are ready to serve the meringues, whip 300ml of whipping cream with 1 teaspoon of icing sugar, and divide it evenly amongst the meringues. Top each with a piece of pear and serve immediately.
Discover the new Autumn/Winter collection at www.maxwellandwilliams.com.au