Mothers Day is fast approaching and sometimes it’s difficult to think of the best way to spoil mum. It could be a lack of inspiration, a lack of funds and a case of mum seeming to have everything.
Queen Fine Foods have timed the launch of their new range perfectly to coincide with Mothers Day and offer some tantalising treat ideas to spoil mum.
I have to admit, I’m not one to rave about things if I haven’t checked them out so I am comfortable with telling you that as I type this I have 3 x 65g containers of Soft Sugar Pearls on my desk in front of me. That’s not the bit I needed to be comfortable with; knowing I have these products right here I couldn’t talk about them without having tried them so yes, I have just eaten a small handful straight from the container. And yes I am happy to report that they are not going to break teeth. In the past I have used Silver Pearls as decorations on cakes, I couldn’t tell you brand or availability but I can tell you they were hard enough to have me concerned for the teeth of my children, not to mention myself. These Queen Soft Sugar Pearls do not present that problem, at all. They are solid enough on the outside that they will retain their shape but they are quite easy to chew and are soft centred. They are definitely going to be my go-to Sugar Pearls for sweet decoration from here on in.
Queen Soft Sugar Pearls are a decadent and delicious addition to every treat and their versatility is hampered only by your imagination, this range is always going to bring a bit of bling to your baking but how about these ideas to make Mum smile on her big day.
- What Mum wouldn’t love a set of ‘Pearls’, made with White Soft Sugar Pearls in the shape of a necklace, and some Silver Soft Sugar Pearls added for that extra Wow factor.
- Make a batch of cupcakes, ice them in her favourite colour and then use White or Silver Soft Sugar Pearls and Queen’s Decoration Icing Kit to write special messages on them.
- Breakfast in bed for Mum this Mother’s Day. Make a batch of pancakes, top with Queen Maple Syrup, whipped cream and decorate with Soft Sugar Pearls.
- Homemade cake pops are irresistible, especially when topped with gorgeous Soft Sugar Pearls. Simply sprinkle the top of the cake pops with Soft Sugar Pearls and allow cake pops to dry.
- Make your favourite whoopie pie recipe and apply Rainbow Soft Sugar Pearls around the side, dust with icing sugar and customise with Queen Writing Icings.
- For a fun no bake activity kids can create beautiful Mother’s Day cards using Soft Sugar Pearls to spell out Mum’s name or make fanciful flowers.
For a little added inspiration what about trying one of these recipes.
Vanilla Whoopie Pies
115g butter softened
200g soft brown sugar
1 tsp Queen Vanilla Extract
1 large egg
300g white plain flour
1¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp Queen Vanilla Extract
2 cups icing sugar
Queen Soft Sugar Pearls and icing sugar to decorate
Pre-heat the oven to 170C (fan-forced) and line two baking trays with baking paper.
With an electric mixer, or hand-held mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until thick and creamy then add the egg and mix until combined.
Using a spoon, mix through the sifted flour, salt and bicarb soda then mix in the buttermilk.
Use an ice-cream scoop to spoon scoops of batter onto the baking trays making sure you leave a few centimetres between each scoop.
Smooth out the tops with your finger (or use the back of a spoon) and even them out so they’re the same height all over.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they’re firm then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To make the filling, beat the butter until smooth, creamy and pale and then beat in the vanilla extract. Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until mixed in and add a little milk to get the icing to spreadable consistency.
Spread half of the cakes with icing on the flat side and sandwich them together with an un-iced cake.
Decorate with soft sugar pearls and dust with icing sugar.
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
100g butter, softened
185g caster sugar
2 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
200g self-raising flour
100g butter, softened
450g icing sugar mixture
1 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar.
Add the Queen Vanilla Bean Paste and mix well.
Add eggs one at a time and beat lightly.
Add sifted flour and milk in two batches, stir with a wooden or metal spoon, until just combined.
Spoon into 12 muffin cases and bake for 15-20 minutes at 180C.
Frosting: Using an electric mixer, beat butter until very light in colour.
Add the Queen Vanilla Bean Paste.
Add sifted icing mixture gradually, beat after each addition.
Add the milk and beat to combine. Spread over cooled cupcakes and enjoy.
Queen Soft Sugar Pearls are now available at Woolworths with an RRP of $2.99.
For more recipes and information about Queen Fine Foods you can visit them on the web at: www.queen.com.au or find them on Facebook