The summer weather is upon us and that means there is soon to be a lot of fruit and the best way to ensure it doesn’t go to waste is to preserve it.
Recipe: Orange Chilli Marmalade
Makes about 2kg
Chili peppers intensify the citrus flavour and add zest to this unique marmalade. Use it to add sparkle to cheese trays or serve as a condiment with coconut-battered shrimp. And don’t forget toast – it makes the traditional something special.
1kg Valencia oranges (unpeeled), seeded and thinly sliced
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
6 cups water
3 dried habanero chili peppers (or 6 dried Colorado or New Mexico chili peppers)
9 cups granulated sugar
8 half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- COMBINE oranges, lemon zest and juice and water in a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes. Add chili peppers, partially cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until fruit is very soft, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard chili peppers.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- BRING mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Maintaining boil, gradually stir in sugar. Boil hard, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches gel stage, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and test gel. If gel stage has been reached, skim off foam.
- LADLE hot marmalade into hot jars leaving 5 mm Wipe rim. Centre lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when centre is pressed.
My blurb went missing… so now I have to bring you a new one. One that is a little broader too.
I devour books, vampires and supernatural creatures are my genre of choice but over the past couple of years I have broadened my horizons considerably.
I inhale music, hair metal that satisfies my inner bogan is where my musical passion lies, but again I’ve been exposed to lots of different music I wouldn’t normally listen to and have broadened those horizons also.
In a nutshell – I love to write! I love interacting with a diverse range of artists to bring you interviews.
Perhaps we were perfect before – I LOVE WORDS! Reading, writing, speaking, listening – if it’s got words I’m there!