Fruit Salad is a popular dish for desserts but have you thought about a more traditional salad with fruit? Australian Bananas have and this Green Banana Som Tum Thai Salad certainly sounds interesting.
Green Banana Som Tum Thai Salad
This is a great way to use green bananas in a salad. The natural sweetness of Australian bananas balances the chilli. Use a food processor or pestle and mortar to crush the dressing ingredients for best results. The secret of this salad is to shred and chop all the ingredients well except the bananas. Prepare this just before you want to eat and serve as a side, with seafood or chicken.
• 2 green or just ripe bananas, sliced (last minute)
• 60 gm or ⅓ cup light palm sugar
• 2 tablespoons boiling water
• 2 x cleaned coriander roots and some stems, chopped
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1 small red chilli, chopped
• ¼ cup lemon or lime juice
• 2 teaspoons fish sauce
• 1 x 250 gm punnet cherry tomatoes, chopped into odd large and small pieces – add the seeds and juices to the bowl
• ½ a small Spanish onion, shredded very fine
• 1 ½ cups Lebanese cucumber, sliced or 1 large Lebanese cucumber, shredded
• ¼ cup dry roasted peanuts, crushed
1. Place the palm sugar and boiling water in a bowl and set aside to cool.
2. Place the coriander, chilli, lemon juice, sugar, water, fish sauce and garlic in a food processor and process until fine. Pour into a medium sized bowl.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, Spanish onion and cucumber to the bowl. Then add the finely sliced green banana. Toss well.
4. Sprinkle with peanuts and extra coriander.
For more great recipes head to AustralianBananas.com.au